Saturday, May 26, 2007

Into Great Silence

I was chillin' with Dr. P tonight at the Landmark Keystone Art Cinema. We went to see "Into Great Silence": a 3-hour tour through a Carthusian Monastery in the French Alps. It is considered a documentary, and that is probably why 15 people ditched the movie at varying intervals. There is no score, and everything that is said or printed on the screen comes at you in French, German and Latin with English subtitles.

Psalm 46:10 says, "Be still and know that I am God." This movie could serve as a 3-hour mini retreat. The photogaraphy is resplendent and most of the camerawork is spellbinding. The movie really gives you an opportunity to think about what you are watching, and also calls into question our Western existence with all of its commodification and technologizing.

The unhurried pace and rhythm of the monks begs all of us to slow down and eat our meal sitting in a doorway, ready to welcome the gift of God as it is constantly arriving. Do we notice all of the life around us and care for its well-being? Do we have the time to sit and read? Do we take the time to pray? Do we ever truly embrace those around us as if we belong to each other?

There is so much to say about this film and the fantastic conversation afterwards, but it will probably never be written. It is late, and I have to be at the church in a few hours. I made myself sit down and type. Tonight, I am glad I did--I'm not so sure how I will feel when the alarm goes off. grace and peace to all of you. The monks are praying for you, as they do the work of the world...and I am praying for you too.

1 comment:

Roop said...

I was glad to be a part of this night & am looking forward to eating lunch in a doorway soon. Thanks for spending time w/ Dr. P & being you.